Lovers of Japanese culture will soon have further reason to celebrate in Qatar as the St. Regis Doha has announced a week-long festival of Japanese-themed events.
The Cherry Blossom Festival will come to Doha from April 19-25 and feature traditional events such as tea ceremonies, kimono displays, art exhibitions, music and, of course, plenty of food.
Named after the distinctive and beautiful flowers which blossom seasonally across Japan and in a south to north movement the hotel’s festival will link with the St. Regis Osaka to ensure authenticity of events.
Every day of the week-long festival will see a special Japanese menu celebrating wagyu beef served at Astor Grill and diners will have the opportunity to learn more about traditional Japanese table manners.
Other daily highlights will include an actual cherry blossom tree in the lobby as well as a kimono display and a specially-created Japanese afternoon tea in the Sarab Lounge.
What is really catching Time Out’s attention, however, is the calendar of unique events lined up by the St. Regis Doha. Highlights include:
• Kimono Fashion Show: On Sunday April 19, Mrs. Kitazume, a renowned kimono master will collaborate with Qatari fashion designers to showcase stunning and intricate designs.
• The Way of Tea: Traditional Japanese tea ceremonies will take place from April 22-25 and visitors will have the chance to see the ritual as well as sample sweets sent from the St. Regis Osaka chefs.
• Ikebana lessons: The traditional art of Japanese plant and flower arranging will be celebrated on April 22-23.
• Live Japanese music: As well as the return of Japanese jazz musician Takeshi Ohbayashi there will be traditional drumming displays and a performance by a school choir to enjoy.
• Lots of food: Sushi-making classes, Japanese brunch and a fantastic-sounding Cherry Blossom picnic, complete with bento boxes and origami lessons will be offered.